FACULTY / STAFF
SJS Book Club!
Join us for our last meeting of the year!! Next meeting is Monday, May 13 at 7:50am
For our next meeting, read Terrible Typhoid Mary by Susan Campbell Bartoletti.
I invite readers to bring treats from the SJS approved food list to share with the group. Additionally, bring a book you’d like to suggest to the group for our next meeting.
Holocaust Unit Information
- Literature Circle Roles- Period 4
- Literature Circle Roles- Period 5
- Literature Circle Role Descriptions
Click here for the BOTB List for 2018- 2019
Week of May 13-17:
- Movie permission slips are due Monday, May 13
- Final Book Test on Tuesday, May 15
- Movie Review’s due Tuesday, May 22
Week of May 6-10:
- All Week 5 work is due on Friday, May 10:
- Important Upcoming Dates
- 5/6 & 5/7= Work day on week 5 work
- 5/9= BOTB battle round 2!
- 5/10= Last literature circle
- 5/14= Final book test (vocab & content)
- 5/15= Begin movie
Week of April 29- May 3:
- All Week 4 work is due on Friday, May 3:
Week of April 15- 19:
- All Week 3 work is due on Friday, April 26:
Week of April 8 -12:
- All Week 2 work is due on Tuesday, April 16:
Week of March 18-21
- Due April 4= Week 1 work
Week of March 11-15
- Monday= Finish Lit. Devices worksheet in class. Short story “The Miracle Girl” due Monday, March 18. Quiz next Monday on Lit Devices.
- Tuesday= “Mystery Photographer” quizlet due. Review Literary Devices.
- Wednesday= Competitive game with “The Monkey’s Paw”
- Thursday= BOTB check-in!
- Friday= Study for Lit. Devices quiz on Monday, March 18.
Week of March 4- March 8
- Monday= Read “The Monkey’s Paw” in class while annotating in your Reading Notebook; finish for HW
- Tuesday= Discuss Characterization- static characters vs. dynamic characters. Notes can be found here.
- Period 5 was assigned a the “Mystery Photographer” quizlet. This quizlet is due Tuesday, March 12.
- Wednesday= Discuss Personification and foreshadowing
- Thursday= Discuss Tone vs. Mood
- Friday= Review day! Discuss these literary devices and practice them!
Week of February 25- March 1
- Monday= Discuss Nothing but the Truth Theme Project due Monday, March 4
- Complete the Socratic Seminar Feedback Form
Week of February 18- 22
- Monday= NO SCHOOL!
- Due Tuesday= Chapter 15 read and chapter 15 reflection. Click here.
Week of February 11- 15
- Wednesday= Point of View quiz. Use these slides to study.
- Due Thursday= Social Media Quizlet complete. Click here.
Week of February 4-8
- Due Wednesday= Chapters 13 & 14 + Reflection
- Due Thursday= Print Quizlet “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock” and bring to class!
Week of January 28- February 1: Catholic Schools Week!
- Book Fair!! Period 4 is scheduled to go on Monday. Period 5 will go on Tuesday. Please bring any $$ you’d like to use to purchase books of your choice. **Our next unit will include a book of choice, so keep that in mind at the book fair.**
- Due Monday 1/28 = Read “Information for Monday” email from Ms. Kenny
- Due Tuesday 1/29 = Read chapter 12 (it’s long, so don’t wait to start it)
Week of January 7-11
- Monday in class we took notes to prepare for our practice ACT ASPIRE writing tomorrow. If you missed class, please put these notes in your Reading Notebook under the notes section and title it “How to Write a Stellar ACT Response”. The slides presentation is here.
- Book reports are due Thursday, January 17**changed from the 14th originally**
- EXTRA CREDIT– print the rubric and bring it in with your completed book report to receive 5 extra credit points.
6th grade! Digital Footprints are due Tuesday, January 15. See the guidelines and rubric for details.
Week of Dec. 10-14
- Due Monday Dec. 10= novel choice for Book Report #2 + Chapter 1-4 in Nothing but the Truth
- Due Thursday= You notebook is ready for the December check. See the checklist here to ensure you have everything!
- Thursday = our first BOTB check-in!
Week of Nov. 12- 16
- Chapter 8 reading + questions due Wednesday, Nov. 14
- Quizlet “Telemachus Sets Forth” and “The Lion’s Whisker” due Friday, Nov. 16
Week of Oct. 15- 19
- Chapter 4 reading and questions due Tuesday, Oct. 16
Week of Oct. 8 – 12
- Chapter 3 reading and questions due Tuesday, Oct. 9
- Quiz on Thursday, Oct. 11 over chapter 1-3
Week of Oct. 1- 5
- Chapter 2 Questions due Tuesday, Oct. 2
- Tech Class (period 3 only)- complete the exit ticket questions found here on your “Digital Media” doc.
Week of Sept. 24- 28
- Chapter 1 Questions due Thursday, Sept. 27
- Notebook Check on Monday, Oct. 1.
Week of Sept. 10- 14
- Bring an independent reading book to class everyday!
- Arlington Heights Memorial Library is coming to class on Monday, Sept. 17 for a book talk on Biographies/ Autobiographies to share a variety of great reads. You’ll be able to check one out, so be sure to bring your AHML library card to class! This is in preparation for our book reports, which will be introduced on Thursday 9/12.
Week of Sept. 3- 7
- Bio Poems completed and printed by Thursday, Sept. 6
- “I Am” poems must be shared by Friday, Sept. 7
- Bring an independent reading book to class Wednesday & Thursday this week!
8th Reading Homework