FROM THE DESK OF MRS. McGOWAN
Welcome back to another year at St James, and welcome to all of our new families! I continue to feel so fortunate to work with you and your children.
Many are surprised to hear we have a School Counselor on staff at St. James. I like to tell the students I have the best job at school. I work with all the students, Pre K through 8th grade. I reinforce friendship skills and prepare others for high school. No two days are ever the same! Just this week Father Derek and I spoke with 7th and 8th grade students about fear, worry, and anxiety. I thought I would share some advice about how to help your student adjust to their new grade. Each new year comes with new expectations and you may see changes in students’ emotions, behaviors and attitudes.
- Acknowledge your child’s stress. Change can be hard
- Listen. Let them tell you about their day – the good and the bad parts
- Help them to identify their feelings. Naming their feeling can help to reduce their stress
- Validate their feelings
- Have reasonable expectations. Remember, we learn from our mistakes
- Make sure your child gets enough sleep. Set a regular bedtime. Coming to school tired is never helps
I will be sharing thoughts, articles, and information on a monthly basis. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. If you have suggestions, please share them with me! firstname.lastname@example.org Ext.6533