FROM THE PRINCIPAL
Our teachers and staff have brought so much energy to the start of this year! Our priests have been so present to our families! Families and children have begun the year with a renewed spirit and open hearts!! All efforts are truly appreciate!!
Thanks, too, to the FSA board, Julie Furmanski, Christine Chodil, Kristen Wentink, and Lily Meyers for their work during the summer preparing for the year, recruiting and organizing room parents, and providing the teachers and staff with a lovely welcome back luncheon last Friday and the after Mass coffee this morning. A shout out to the School Council’s Marketing Committee for the Welcome Back coffee and treats after Sunday monring’s 11;30 Mass! What a wonderful spirit of unity and pride the SJS community has shown!
A special shout out to Melissa Finn for all of her work on designing and guiding the work to bring SJS beautiful new signage that will be seen in and outside the building. The first piece was mounted in time for the first day of school outside the west doors and it is a beauty! It is a great focal point for preserving family memories on special occasions!
And look at our redecorated reception area!
The first week of school has been fabulous! The children are returning to their schedules and learning or relearning school routines. One particular SJS family all 9 grandchildren attending SJS! They can form our very own Bulldog baseball team!! What a beautiful legacy!!
“FAITH TO MOVE MOUNTAINS” is the theme for the 2018/19 Archdiocese of Chicago school year. As Christ tells us in the 17th Chapter of Matthew, God’s faith can help us to do great things. Even faith as small as a “mustard seed” can enable us to move mountains! Our faith provides us with constant strength and comfort as we work towards a successful school year and, ultimately, towards the heavenly kingdom!
District 25 will offer arrival bus service for SJS students. St. James students who would be on the “Thomas Middle School route” may ride any of those busses. Once they are dropped off at Thomas, one bus will transport all to St. James students to SJS. Is my home on this route? Is there room on the bus for my kids? Answers to these questions are provided to parents by contacting Laura Comastro at District 25 at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-758-4888. Home which are south of Northwest Highway is definitely NOT on the route. Click here for the bus registration form. The late processing fee will be waived since we are getting a late start. Service starts on Monday.
…to students who achieved Honor Roll/Merit Roll status during the 3rd Trimester of 2017-2018!
This coming Monday, August 27 is the first SPIRIT WEAR day of the year! Here’s the info you need to know about dressing for Spirit Wear Days—taken from the SJS Student/Parent Handbook.
The last Monday of every month is designated as a Spirit Wear Day. Other days during the year may be
designated as such. Spirit Wear regulations are as follows
- Designated spirit wear shirts, school activity shirts such as Broadway Bulldogs shirts, SJS Dodgeball Tournament shirts, 6th grade tie-dye shirts, Tip-off shirts, SJS team shirts or plain white or Bulldog blue shirts
- Jeans, SJS sweatpants, plain black or blue sweatpants
- During designated shorts season, jean shorts are permitted, so long as the length is appropriate for school (no more than 2 inches above the knee)—NO RUNNING SHORTS
- Pajama pants, yoga pants, and leggings are not appropriate for school wear
PROTECTING GOD’S CHILDREN
Remember that all volunteers must complete all Archdiocesan requirements prior to starting their volunteer experiences.
- completing the annual CANTS form (submit to school office)
- signing off on the Code of Conduct (submit to school office)
- completing the background check online
- completing Virtus Training
Further information and forms may be found at the following link http://archchicago.org/departments/safe_environment/training.shtm Virtus Training may be completed at any site listed on the Archdiocesan site.
Grandparents/Special Person’s Day is one of the most special celebrations we have at SJS! Please remember that we are somewhat challenged with parking this year with the construction though there is limited parking on the east side, north of the church. Anyone who can walk over is highly encouraged to do so! Carpooling will help a lot! Thank you for planning ahead!
Quest Hot Lunch online ordering for September is up and running!. Click here to get more information about the Quest at SJS.
Click here to access the Quest website. Families can receive student ID numbers needed for ordering by calling the school office at 224.345.7145.
Quest Food Service will begin on Sept. 4.
Families may choose between two options for lunch at SJS
- Quest Food Service-ability to order up to 48 hours in advance
- Sack lunch from home
Please refrain from lunches from outside sources such as Jimmy Johns, Portillos, McDonalds, etc. Additionally, students have the opportunity to have special lunches each month, October through May with Parents’ Club Special Lunch.
SJS respectfully requests that you to abide by this policy.
FROM THE PARISH BUSINESS OFFICE
For those who are new to St. James, welcome!, and to those returning, welcome back! We’re happy to have you here at St. James School! Here is some important information regarding tuition obligations; please contact the business office or SMART Tuition with any questions you many have.
- ALL FAMILIES are enrolled in SMART Tuition, our tuition servicing company. Please visit www.smarttuition.com (888.868.8828) to gain access to your account, make online payments, etc. Payments are always due on the 20th of the month to SMART Tuition, regardless of your payment plan. Those on the 12 month plan have already begun to make payments; everyone else will soon receive electronic invoice/information from SMART regarding your first payment (due Thursday September 20th). Be aware that there is a $40 late fee for late payments. Late fees are added each month that the current balance is not paid in full.
- SMART is paperless!! Please verify that SMART Tuition has your preferred email address and phone number (and make sure SMART is not in your SPAM settings).
- The participating parishioner tuition rate requires a $1000 minimum family donation to the church ($500 for Pre-K only families) due no later than April 30, 2019. Donations made to Sunday and Holy Day collections satisfy this requirement. Statements of donations received May 1, 2018 (the date we start tracking donations for the upcoming year) through the end of August will be mailed to ALL families who are paying the participating parishioner tuition rate. These statements are meant to help plan/adjust for the $1,000 donation. Similar statements will be sent again in December and March (letters are not sent to those who have already met this obligation).
- Many families take advantage of our convenient online donation program. If you’re interested, visit the parish website http://www.stjamesah.org/online-giving
- If you have any questions, please contact the business office:
Barbara Krawczyk 224.345.7239 email@example.com OR
Tricia Dulkoski 224.345.7211 firstname.lastname@example.org
Enjoy this beautiful day, and thank you for your support of St. James!
COMPLIMENTARY SCHOOL CALENDARS were handed out on Orientation Day at the FSA table to those families who stopped by to verify their directory information. We will be reaching out to those families who still need to verify directory information.
The 2018-2019 Annual Fund is here!
THANK YOU to all families who have already contributed.
Donations can still be made via FaithDirect! Click here to donate!
Your tax deductible donation will support Cultural Arts Programs, Angels in the Classroom, Tech purchases & upgrades,Staff hospitality, gifts, and recognition Catholic Schools Week events, 8th Grade May Crowning & Graduation Dinner events, and more!!
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11th @ 7pm FSA MEETING
Please plan to attend. Light refreshments will be served.
If YOU are a registered SJS family, YOU are a member of FSA!
Thank you to everyone who stopped by to purchase the new Spiritwear items at orientation on Monday. We have some great news. Spiritwear and Glitzy Wear are now offered all year long!! Please visit www.cheershoppe.com to purchase today. Any questions, contact Jackie Moreno Jaclyn.email@example.com or Diana Volpe firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you to our Hospitality Committee for hosting the back-to-school lunch for our faculty & staff last Friday! Cheryl Bayer, Mary Reddin, and Kristen Wentink and their team of volunteers put together a well-deserved lunch to kick off the 2018-2019 school year!
Click here for more information on Francis Fest.
“What Every Parent Needs to Know” Lecture Series
Dear Parents and Guardians,
High School District 214 in collaboration with Link Together Coalition are pleased to offer
an exciting lecture and discussion program, “What Every Parent Needs to Know”. These
sessions help parents navigate and respond appropriately to their children’s growth and
development, anticipate and prevent behavioral problems proactively, develop mutually
respectful relationships, explore fair discipline, maintain effective communication and use
productive problem-solving methods.
The sessions are led by Bob Leece, Student Assistance Coordinator at Buffalo Grove High
School, who has trained thousands of parents over the past 30 years.
DATES: Tuesdays, 9/11, 9/18, 9/25, 10/2, 10/9, 10/16 (7:00pm – 9:00pm)
WHERE: Buffalo Grove High School (room to be determined)
1100 W. Dundee Rd.
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089
COST: $30.00 per person (total cost for 6-week session), payable cash or check only,
at the first night of class
To register click on the link: https://goo.gl/forms/EGdXM0JwaPDxJriz1
Please check your email, information will be sent around the first week of September regarding
the room, where to park, which door to enter and emergency closing.
Any further questions may be directed to Bob Leece at 847-718-4027 or email@example.com