FROM THE PRINCIPAL
My thanks to all families for your time, treasure, talents, and support throughout this year. I always tell people that one of the greatest assets of St. James is its sense of community and its volunteers. We couldn’t do it without you!!
Special thanks to parents who have completed several years of service in leadership roles on the School Council – Matt Callero, Lisa Chengary, Melissa Finn, Melissa Hutchison, and Mark Zimmerman, and on the Parents’ Club Board: Beth Cloud and Gina Zebron.
Finally, for ten years of volunteering in directing the fruitful marketing efforts at our school, SJS is most grateful to Beth Zimmerman.
St. James School has a tremendous staff! We are grateful to our teachers, support and maintenance staffs for all of their hard work this year. We thank them and wish them many blessing for their service to our children.Best wishes to Mrs. Cushing, Miss Giovannetti, Miss Harter, Miss Kator, and Mrs. Luehr whose careers are taking them down a new road. We thank them for their service to our students!
Thanks, too, to our priests! Father Matt and Father Derek are precious to our school families! We thank God for this blessing!
Enjoy a great summer with your family! Stay in touch by seeing one another at Sunday Mass. And with the Lord’s blessings, we’ll reunite in August, ready to take St. James school to greater heights!
Get a jump start on reading books on next year’s Battle of the Books list this summer! Take a look at the Summer Book Preview with 5 books on each of the 2019 BoB lists.
Complete grade level booklists will be published in the fall. Happy Reading!
Options that have proven successful for SJS families are Dennis Uniform and Lands End. Only Dennis carries the SJS uniform plaid items. Dennis has closed its Mount Prospect store. The nearest brick and mortar store is in Chicago just of the Kennedy expressway on Higgins at Harlem. Sample items are available in the SJS office for sizing purposes for online ordering.
SJS code: 900128257 Lands End will carry Sperry shoes beginning in June.
P.E. UNIFORMS Grades 6-8 are required to wear uniforms for Physical Ed.
You are invited to begin shopping in the St James PE Uniforms 2018 online store. This online store has been set-up to make the ordering process easier for you. Orders can be placed from May 30, 2018 until August 15, 2018.
It will take you just a few minutes to get started, three simple steps:
If you need further assistance or have any questions, please CLICK HERE and one of our online Customer Care representatives will be glad to assist you.
SUMMER READING FOR MOMS & DADS
The best summer activity for kids of all ages is reading! Students have assigned or suggested lists. Parents might benefit from some suggestions, too! Enjoy!!
Mrs. McGowan suggests…
- Unselfie by Michelle Borba – exploring empathy crisis
- Braving the Wilderness by Brene Brown
- Lost and Found by Ross Greene – helping behaviorally challenging students
Mrs. Pappas suggests…
- Coach Parenting by Erika Katz – use love and discipline to help children realize their potential
- How to Raise an Adult by Julie Lythcott-Haims – learning the satisfaction of hard work
- The Gift of Failure by Jessica Lahey -help kids learn from adversity
Father Matt suggests…
The Bible,The Book of James – 5 Chapters very simple and very practical for the whole family
Father Derek suggests…
- The Collapse of Parenting: How We Hurt Our Kids When We Treat Them Like Grown-Ups by Leonard Sax – teaching our children humility and perspective
- Christian Fatherhood:The Eight Commitments of St. Joseph’s Covenant Keepers by Steve Wood
- Men, Women, and the Mystery of Love: PRactical Insights from John Paul II’s Love and Responsibility by Edward Sr
FROM THE DESK OF MRS. McGOWAN
I can’t believe how quickly this year has flown! I have been holding on to this article from Stewardship.com since I read it last summer. I think it has some good points! I would only add time for prayer, Mass and helping others. I hope you enjoy these weeks off with your families!
Why Your Kids Need to Be Bored This Summer
Here’s the deal: You don’t have to be on 24-hour entertainment duty! READ MORE
Our email address will soon be changing. Until the summer fodder is sent in August, you can contact the FSA officers at our current email address: firstname.lastname@example.org Your comments, questions, and offers of support are always welcome! Best wishes to all for a safe, fun, and memorable summer!
We hope you take the opportunity to read through the FSA Annual Report. It has been a very successful year at SJS with your support! Here is a digital version if you haven’t received one in your child’s backpack: FSA Annual Report
A quick review of Five Facts for Next Fall (found in our Annual report)
- If you are registered as a SJS family, you are a member of the St. James FSA! No additional membership registration or fee is required.
- On orientation day every family will receive a complimentary 8×11 school calendar and you will be asked to verify your directory information. Paper directories and online directory access will be available to every family after Labor Day.
- You will be presented with an opportunity to offer volunteer support to FSA committees on Orientation Day. Help from each family is necessary to keep our programs running successfully!
- Additional information about the Annual Fund and how you can participate with a company match will be available at the FSA table and fee payment table on Orientation Day. We hope for 100% participation from our families towards the Annual Fund.
- NEW Spirit Wear & glitzy wear will be available for purchase on Orientation Day in the Parish Center.
Graduation Dinner & Dance Committee
The graduation dinner is THE MOST special event we host the entire year. This event is made possible by current Seventh Grade families who offer their assistance to make the dinner and dance memorable for their 8th grade friends. The graduation dinner committee chairs, Lisa Chu and Erin McAndrews, wish to thank these Seventh Grade parents for sharing their time to prepare for, help during, and/or clean up after the dinner & dance last week: Halina McManaman, Cheryl Bayer, Abbie Papanicholas, Kathie Dossett, Mary Reddin, Jennifer Anderson, Maria DelBoccio, Michelle Koclanis, Danielle Doty, Carolyn Neary, Sarah Whelan, Emily Ragauskis, Tracie Platt, Jolanta Klimowicz, Natalie Moreau, Jorsey Abraham, Suzy Daugherty, Kandi Perino, Julie Cohen, Heather Ploog, Lynne Terranova, Beth Cloud, Gail Jones, Carina Chambers.
Attention current Sixth Grade parents: On Orientation Day in August you’ll be presented with the opportunity to offer your help to FSA committees. Please remember to check the graduation dinner box! As a Seventh Grade parent your help to put this incredible event together is definitely appreciated!
The following students from the SJS Class of 2015 were recently inducted into the National Honor Society at Hersey High School! We’re proud of your accomplishment!
Sarah Bailitz, Clarissa Gomez, Marina Heidorn, Zach Heidorn, Thomas McCarthy, and Josh Perkins.
Congratulations to Jordan Imhoff, SJS Class of 2017,
upon winning the Freshman Soccer Team Lion Award at SVHS!